May 17, 2010

U.S. Supreme Court Takes an Important Step for Children's Rights

The U.S. Supreme Court decided today that life without parole for juveniles is, in non-homicide cases, cruel and unusual punishment. This is a significant step forward in juvenile justice that has been lauded by the Juvenile Law Center and other advocacy groups.


Thousands of cases nationwide are affected by this new decision.

But is life without parole an appropriate sentence in homicide cases for juveniles? In many cases, advocates argue, it deteriorates the intention of the juvenile justice system: rehabilitation.  Although this case is a step toward restoring the focus of the juvenile justice system, there is still a significant road to travel.

The majority of youth convicted of major crimes show a history of abuse prior to their involvement with the system, and a shocking study in January 2010 showed that 12% of youth in custody were being sexually abused.

It is urgent that the juvenile justice system be reformed to reemphasize rehabilitation instead of punishment and to provide services to children who are acting out from abuse rather than punishment that perpetuates that abuse.

6 comments:

  1. Child Advocacy http://www.irecord.tv/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    This post is very informative. i like this post very much. This post is very informative. Thanks for giving me this great information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    This post is very informative. i like this post very much. This post is very informative. Thanks for giving me this great information.
    State Labor Laws

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hired Lynda Hinkle for 9 months to the tune of $3675 for a simple divorce. No kids, no property, and no alimony. We did have to wait for 2 bankruptcies to finalize, and Lynda didn't have to file motions. She created a CIS, answer, and counterclaim, but the opposition created the MSA. Lynda then requested another $3100 (almost $7000 in total) for my divorce. I have worked with many lawyers and I considered this highway robbery. I fired her after the 9 months and when my divorce was finalized by another lawyer, I asked for a partial refund of $1150 as we didn't meet with the opposition, and Lynda was out to rake me over the coals. If you have money to burn, go ahead and hire her, otherwise, I would recommend that you avoid hiring her. There are much better lawyers out there that cost less. She actually called me an extortionist because I told her that I was going to post truthful (bad) reviews since she would only agree to refund $200. She lies to cover her tracks and has no consistency in her arguments over the billing. She claimed that I didn't produce documents in a timely fashion and that could not be further from the truth as I am an Internet hound with scanning equipment for documents, pdf converters, both at home and work. Her office staff was courteous and professional, however she was like talking to a tree. I would not recommend her to friends or family, or even my worst enemies. Beware as I also found unresolved online reviews about billing issues with her office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting , good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog, for know more related to hp printer setup 123.hp.com/setup

    ReplyDelete